Koss & Schonfeld, LLP has won or settled a multitude of substantial cases in recent years. The following is a small sample of notable settlements and verdicts obtained by our attorneys and commercial transactions that we have successfully closed. These results demonstrate the excellent representation provided by our lawyers in a variety of case types.
The Firm specializes in representing clients in connection with all types of medical malpractice cases. Below are some examples of its successes.
- $1,750,000 settlement for a man who suffered a urological injury as a result of the failure of a New York City area hospital to provide him with prophylactic antibiotics prior to a routine urinary procedure.
- $900,000 settlement for an infant patient who suffered a brachial plexus injury as a result of a negligent delivery performed by the delivering obstetrician.
- $795,000 settlement for the wrongful death of a woman who passed away as a result of the negligent failure to recognize elevated potassium levels pre-operatively, leading to a hyperkalemic event during surgery and death.
- $627,500 settlement for patient injured as a result of the failure by her physician to timely conduct a colonoscopy resulting in interval growing cancer.
- $590,000 settlement for a woman whose physician neglected to conduct a swallow study despite the fact that she was rapidly losing weight and who was ultimately diagnosed with esophageal cancer.
- $525,000 jury verdict in Queens County medical malpractice case involving a negligently performed cardiac procedure. The verdict was substantial in light of the fact that the damage caused by the malpractice was subsequently substantially corrected.
- $500,000 settlement for a woman who suffered a foot injury as a result of a negligently performed bunionectomy procedure.
- $490,000 settlement for a woman who developed unnecessary scaring as a result of a tummy tuck procedure.
- $400,000 settlement for the wrongful death of a man who passed away as a result of the negligent placement of a feeding tube.
- $285,000 settlement for a woman who suffered injuries relating to a negligently performed leg vein stripping surgery.
- $275,000 settlement for the emotional damages suffered by a woman who delivered a stillborn baby as result of the negligent care and treatment of her obstetrician.
- $250,000 settlement for a child who suffered a urological injury as a result the malpractice committed by his treating physician.
- $225,000 settlement for a woman who went into shock after suffering from a pneumothorax stemming from an injection improperly administered by a sports medicine facility.
- $160,000 settlement for the wrongful death of a man who passed away as a result of the negligent failure to place the patient back on Coumadin following the cancellation of a vascular procedure.
- $135,000 settlement for an elderly woman who suffered a shoulder injury as a result of negligent supervision in a nursing facility.
- $125,000 settlement for a man who suffered spinal injuries as a result of a delay in the diagnosis of a spinal tumor.
- $125,000 settlement for injuries sustained by a woman who underwent an improperly performed hammer toe procedure.
- $95,000 settlement for a woman who while undergoing a lap band procedure, suffered a small burn to her upper arm as a result of the negligent placement of the surgical instruments utilized during the procedure.
The Firm specializes in a wide variety of products liability cases. Below are some examples of its successes.
- $4,300,000 total jury verdict in a defective tire case in Broome County. After winning a successful appeal, our firm tried and won a case on behalf of three passengers riding in a car with a defective tire.
- $2,000,000 jury verdict in Federal court. After our client suffered the loss of two of his fingers, we obtained this substantial verdict against the manufacturer of a defective lawnmower which caused the loss his injuries.
- $140,000 partial settlement of claims for injuries sustained while using a saw blade.
- $75,000 settlement for injuries suffered by a child who ingested magnets from an improperly designed toy.
- $45,000 settlement for burn injuries sustained as a result of a glass bowl that shattered when hot soup was place inside of it.
- $1,300,000 verdict for a driver who was struck in the rear of his vehicle. The driver suffered injury to his back which required surgery.
- $810,000 settlement for a pedestrian whose foot was run over by a passing vehicle, resulting in significant foot injury that subsequently developed RSD.
- $575,000 settlement against the MTA for the negligent transportation of a patient in an access-a-ride vehicle. The settlement for the patient who suffered a fractured coccyx is believed to be the highest for a patient who already required the use of a wheelchair.
- $120,000 settlement for a driver who was struck in the rear of his vehicle. The driver required laparoscopic shoulder surgery to repair the injuries suffered.
- $90,000 settlement for a pedestrian who was knocked down while in the middle of the street. Our injured client required laparoscopic shoulder surgery to repair the injuries suffered.
- $90,000 settlement for an infant pedestrian who was knocked down while crossing a street. Our injured suffered a non-displaced fracture as a result of the accident. The settlement included both the negligent driver’s entire insurance policy as well as the umbrella policy of infant pedestrian’s family.
- $325,000 settlement on behalf of a man who suffered a slip and fall caused by a grease condition existing on the stairs of a at a large department where he was employed.
- $175,000 settlement on behalf of a woman who suffered a slip and fall caused by a wet floor condition existing at a concert hall.
- $90,000 settlement on behalf of bicycle rider who suffered a fractured foot as a result of a cracked sidewalk on a New York City street.
- $62,500 settlement on behalf of woman who sustained a hairline fracture of her arm as a result of a slip and fall caused by a dangerous condition occurring at a wedding hall.
- $15,000,000 recovered in litigation involving misappropriated funds, unpaid loans and fraudulent conveyances.
- $250,000 recovered on behalf of a property owner who was defrauded by a prospective purchaser.
- Dismissal of a case brought against our client challenging the sale of a commercial property.
- Dismissal of a case brought against our landlord client by a tenant who claimed the existence of a lease renewal. The decision was affirmed on appeal.
- Dismissal of a case brought against our client, a business broker, claiming that the client acted improperly in the sale of a business.
- Dismissal of a case brought against our client alleging unfair competition.
- Dismissal of case alleging that our client owed the plaintiff significant sums of money that were alleged to have been loaned by the plaintiff. The dismissal was affirmed on appeal.
- Dismissal of complaint against individual owner of a company for alleged failure to pay commission upon the closing of a real estate transaction.
Commercial Real Estate Transactions
- In excess of $400,000,000 in purchases and sales of commercial properties.
- In excess of $350,000,000 in purchases and sales of adult health care facilities across the United States.
- In excess of $150,000,000 in commercial refinances of properties in New York and New Jersey.